Palazzo Grassi - Venice
The precise circumstances concerning the building of the palace are little-known. It is supposed that work began in 1740, or more probably in 1748, for which date a text mentions excavation work and the preparation of foundations.
The Grassi family, originally from Chioggia, had bought a patch of land in a magnificent location. Its trapezoidal form offered the added advantage of providing a long façade on the canal. The architecture of Palazzo Grassi is attributed to Giorgio Massari who had built the large church of the Gesuati on the Zattere, and that of the Pietà on the Riva degli Schiavoni.
This was the last palace to be erected in Venice before the fall of the Rupublic. The palace is currently considered to be a high value location for exhibitions.
Painting and Sculpture form the François Pinault Collection will feature a focused selection of 16 international artists whose work engages with supposedly "traditional" art practises - yet subject both painting and sculpture to constant conceptual revisions and ever-evolving techniques. The works can be admired until the 5th November 2007.
The structure gives visitors optional tour guides, aimed to study the artist and his work but, above all, to read and analise the artistic image.
Palazzo Grassi bookshop is managed by Skira, and the merchandising includes a personalised Moleskine.